Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Financing in Sunrise : Real Estate Advice

  • All163
  • Local Info8
  • Home Buying47
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions5

Activity 2
Sat Jan 26, 2013
Stefanie Cohen PA, ABR, SFR answered:
Talk to a reputable mortgage professional. They will look at your credit history and advise you.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed May 14, 2008
Trey Bowden answered:

Most mortgages do not allow the addition of deletion of names because the names associated with the mortgage are responsible for the repayment of the note.

Even in the case of divorce the only way one party can be removed from the mortgage is for the home to be refinanced under the name of the party who received the home in the divorce settlement.

My suggestion is for you to have your name added to the deed of the home. This way should you inherit the home you could "refinance" the note instead of "purchasing" the home. You can use a legal instrument called a "quit claim deed" to put your name on the title. Consult your local title agency or attorney to process this document.

Good Luck!

Trey Bowden
Mortgage Lender
(405) 340-3277
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice