Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Agent2Agent in New York County : Real Estate Advice

  • All107
  • Local Info10
  • Home Buying69
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 221
Wed Jan 10, 2018
Kathy Lakritz answered:
The person to ask is your broker. Your broker is legally responsible for your actions and the answer may be written in your independent contractor agreement with your broker. Sorry, but nobody online can answer this. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 3, 2018
Jack Ramone answered:
There is such a thing as an Exclusive Right To Represent Buyer Agreement (, however it is quite uncommon in NYC. It is much more common in more suburban areas like Westchester where the agent commits more because they have to drive buyers around.

If you are asking about whether exclusive buyers agents exist in NYC, they do but it is rare and not necessary (see link below).
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 15, 2017
Turnera1964 answered:
No, don't give up, take a step back from it for 2 weeks or 30 days and then come back to it. Don't stay away from it to long you wanna keep your leaned material and not loose it. Once you receive your license , then you never loose them unless you fail to renew and pay, Try Again. ... more
0 votes 92 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 24, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
There is no "best school". Taking the pre licensing course in person is much better than taking it online. I compared my experience to those who took it online and I was able to interact more than they did. I also scored higher on the state exam.

More important to you is if you intend to work as a real estate agent in the New York City area, you need to have $$$ in a savings account. It's very expensive to start and if you don't close any deals in your first year, you will lose that money.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Oct 11, 2017
Anita jones answered:
If anyone of you are looking for a good, reliable, upfront, fast closing mortgage broker, please contact us at We are licensed in NY state.
2 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 5, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
As a former New York City area realtor, brokers who have buyers interested in Dubai will be happy to refer them to you provided the broker is paid a referral fee. The referral fee needs to be paid upfront. Typically, high end brokers are interested in getting buyers for their listings in New York City. They are not interested if buyers are meeting developers in Dubai because they are not being paid for it. As soon as these realtors get paid, they will be interested. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Sep 25, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Yes. The Office Manager or Broker in Charge at your brokerage can easily leave for a different brokerage. It's the same as managers who work at their companies. There is no contract that forces the Managing Broker to stay at that brokerage. This happens more frequently than you think.

The issue for you as a real estate agent is you will now work with a different Office Manager and hopefully that person can help you succeed in the real estate business.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Aug 9, 2017
Susie Kay answered:
You can do whatever you want. It's probably better to terminate after you return from your vacation or terminate and join a new one then go on vacation. You need a broker to sponsor and keep you license active.

The old broker is going to know where you are at.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 6, 2017
Jesus Torres answered:
I have been with this firm for going on a year and can honestly say that I have learned more about how to service my clients more efficiently that I have ever thought possible. Both buyer and seller leads are excellent but with the training and guidance of our principle broker we are taught to obtain our own. I am honored to have the privilege of working with this team. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 21, 2017
Sravanodapalli asked:
Hi, i am unable to access to your API how can i approach.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun May 21, 2017
Craigslistemail172 answered:

If you want to be a realtor in Manhattan and Brooklyn and Queens do you have to pay for the Brooklyn Board, Brooklyn MLS, REBNY (RLS) and Queens MLS?
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 15, 2017
Scott Godzyk answered:
You should look at all types so you can compare what they charge, what they pay and what they offer. Big companies may have more tools, but less hands on training. Small companies have less flash, but more hands on training. Also once you do choose, promote yourself using a blog, such as Active Rain.I put a link below to sign up for free. It is a great way to reach new clients ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 11, 2017
Jonathan Lahey answered:
Well, if you are ready to face any challenges for your new carrier then take it as a good thing. Moving in into a new place is not easy but one must have true courage to reach goals. Good Luck! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 4, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
To obtain a brokers license in NY, you need 2 years as a sales agent and you need to have made some sales. As a guideline, the objective of getting a brokers license in NYC is to either lead a team, be an Office Manager or open your own brokerage. If this is not your objective, then why are you getting a brokers license.

As for "what activities may I do to support a broker" - the ONLY activity that your broker wants to see is closed sales. Nothing means more to a broker or Office Manager than closed real estate sales. This is what makes money for the brokerage and all the brokerage is interested in is making money to survive.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 28, 2017
Phyllis Ignozzi answered:
I understand I can hold a Florida real estate license and a New Jersey Real Estate License. Can I work in Florida six (6) months of the year and in New Jersey six (6) months of the year? ... more
0 votes 33 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 1, 2017
Jennifer Fivelsdal answered:
I can't see how this would benefit a Brokerage. Sounds like risk without return on investment. This scenario would not play well in NYC.
0 votes 34 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 15, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Do you have a real estate license? If you don't have a license, you cannot work as an agent. You can only work as an administrator. Assisting other agents depends on how successful they are and whether they will pay you.

If you do have a state license, brokerages hire agents based on whether you can close deals for them. Brokerages will hire part time agents ONLY if you will work full time within 6 months. The reason is it costs money to start a real estate career and brokerages will expect you to use your income from your other job to pay for real estate expenses until you close a deal. This should take about 6 months in New York City.

My advice is don't start a real estate career because it's expensive and the brokerage takes 1/2 your commission. Remember, you need to pay the full income taxes on the money you take home + reimbursing yourself for the money you spent + health insurance, etc. You end up taking home very little money.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice
Agent2Agent in Popular Cities in New York County