This property is no longer available to rent or buy. This description is from March 05, 2012
SWEEPING VIEWS OF THE SUDBURY RIVER!One of Concord's most admired Queen Anne Victorians, this landmark home is prominently sited on .96 acres with sweeping views across the Sudbury River. Beautifully renovated spaces include a chef's kitchen, spacious family room, master bedroom, bath room and much more. Rich period details with high ceilings, original wood work, built-ins and marble fireplaces. A large carriage house with 2 car parking has finished space with recreation space, kitchenette and bathroom. Enjoy recreational access to river and it's ideal walk-to-center location. Historical Narrative This pretty Queen Anne Victorian on the Sudbury River was built around 1880, possibly as early as 1876, by Andrew Jackson Harlow (1824-1891). Although he first moved to Concord at age 19, Harlow left only a few years later to manage ticket offices for various railroads in upstate New York and western Massachusetts. He later became the general New England agent for the Michigan Central Railroad, and remained with the Railroad for 18 years. (He apparently moved back to Concord during this period). He resided here in 1878, when he began a two-year term as Selectman. He also served on the Cemetery Committee for fifteen years. In 1886, possibly through his railroad connections, he “engaged a palace car” and conducted an excursion to California for several Concord residents. His Social Circle memoir says of this house, “We must all admit that it looks as if it was washed and swept every morning, and as if each particular plant was under bonds to keep it in its proper shape and place.” According to Keyes, Julius M. Smith (#398 Main Street) also occupied the house in the 1880’s. After Andrew Harlow’s death, the property was acquired by Alonzo Tower (1837-1905). He partnered with Henry Walcott of 340 Main Street, in C. Brigham Co., milk contractors out of Boston which collected milk from farmers along the Boston & Albany Railroad line and sold it to Boston dealers. He had begun working in the tailoring business on Main Street, and later owned the grain elevator at the Fitchburg Depot. Alonzo was also vice-president of the Concord, Maynard, and Hudson Street Railway. His son, Fred A. Tower (1871-1959), also resided in the house. Fred worked for the U.S. Weather Bureau in Boston, and later became Concord’s Postmaster (1899). Shortly after the Towers moved here, he built a weather tower next to the river on this property, from which he acted as local weather observer for the Weather Bureau. His Concord Weather Station served the local community. Blue, black, red, and white flags were flown from a flagstaff to designate the expected weather conditions. Fred Tower was very active in Trinity Church, serving as its treasurer. He was also its organist and choirmaster, and started a short-lived boys’ choir in 1896. In 1935 he wrote the first history of the church. The Towers also invested in local real estate. Their name is mentioned in connection with at least four other houses on Main Street near the River which they either occupied or rented out. The next owner of this house was Boston attorney George P. Furber, who bought it between 1905 and 1909. He lived there until his death in 1919 and sometime thereafter it was purchased by a Dr. Wentworth. Architectural description: One of several stylish Queen Anne houses built in the vicinity during the 1880’s. This building is 2 ½ stories, with two large ridge chimneys, a two-story rear wing, and a two-story single-bay extension on the east end. A tall polygonal bay window projects from the façade under a large patterned-shingle gable; a one-story bay window is located on the west end. The Queen Anne sculptural quality of the house is further enhanced by the inset of the end roof gables, so that the main roof “kicks” out on the ends. The windows are 2-over-2-sash, with complex molded surrounds, shutters, and heavy shingled hoods at the first story. A hip-roofed dormer appears over the west part of the façade. The main entry has a molded surround and a double-leaf glass-and-panel door, similar to those on the other Queen Anne houses in the area (#339 and #349 Main Street). The wide entry porch, posts, balustrade and roof balcony are embellished with spindle work. The same short spindle work seen at the balcony is repeated on the roof of the west bay window. Other trim consists of some subdued stick work, including a belt course between first and second stories, a sill board, pierced verge boarding at the gable ends, and bracketing on the house corners, roof lines, and bay windows. In keeping with the Queen Anne interest in textural contrasts, patterned shingles appear in the gables.