Visualize with us: It’s a beautiful afternoon and you’re enjoying some time away from work and your other responsibilities. You decide to go for a stroll. What’s your view when you step outside your front door? Are you headed down a quiet country road toward a swimming hole on your property, or do you step onto the sidewalk along a bustling city street, toward trendy boutiques and restaurants?
Both city and country lifestyles have their perks — homes for sale in Portland, OR, and other urban areas are often close to offices, restaurants, and shopping (not to mention cultural activities and other events), while country homes can be quieter, secluded, and often set amid natural beauty (and you aren’t forced by proximity to get quite so well acquainted with your neighbors).
We’ve found homes for sale in four busy U.S. metros and their counterparts in the surrounding countryside. Which would you choose?
Looking for more information on these homes for sale? Check out the listing information and browse their galleries below!
- CITY: Urban, brick two-bedroom townhome at 1711 Merriman Court, Pittsburgh, PA 15203
- COUNTRY: Rustic log cabin on 3 wooded acres at 338 Fanker Road, Harmony, PA 16037
2. Tulsa, OK
- CITY: Three-bedroom brick home with a guesthouse and pool at 2415 S. St. Louis Ave., Tulsa, OK 74114
- COUNTRY: Large house on 2.5 acres at 24073 E. 137th St. South, Coweta, OK 74429
3. Portland, OR
- CITY: Blue bungalow in downtown Portland, OR at 2399 NW Byrne Terrace, Portland, OR 97229
- Yellow bungalow on 20 acres in the heart of wine country, at 5680 Karlas Lane, Amity, OR 97101
4. Chicago, IL
- Landmark historic home in Wicker Park at 2133 W. Thomas St., Chicago, IL 60622
- Farmhouse on 13 acres at 8051 Van Emmon Road, Yorkville, IL 60560