Parking can be tough in the evenings but is generally not bad in the morning and afternoon. Usually once you settle into your home, you find little tricks within a few blocks. If the property you're interested in doesn't have parking and you're not interested in street parking, you can find both public and private garages that rent spaces on a monthly basis. Check Craigslist for private parking availability and pricing. If you are considering buying in Nob Hill, I'd be happy to help you get started.
McGuire Real Estate
As of 2011, rental prices are going up and up. This is a similar story to San Francisco in general.
For home prices, given the constraints on quality supply, I believe that prices are holding up well and not cheap, but I think are a worthwhile investment for the long term.
With the San Francisco economy doing reasonably well and the America's Cup in 2013, I suspect prices are more likely to increase in the near to mid term.... more
Like many neighborhoods in San Francisco, there are good parts and bad parts. I would suggest two things:
1. Check out the SF Police Crime Stat Website: http://sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=1618
2. Contact the folks at the closest station to get context behind the numbers.
Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425... more
Lots of positive things about the area after I spent 4 years living there.
- Parking is very hard, there are a few paid lots in emergencies when you have visitors, but generally it's tough to get parking.
- There are a couple of convenience stores and a few restaurants, but not too many compared to Russian Hill, North Beach, etc.
- Wouldn't say there is a great sense of community in the area as there are many pied-à-terre units and the owners aren't there often.
- It's expensive for a small place.
Those are a few downsides, but for busy young professionals without family, I would definitely recommend living there in a heartbeat.... more
One of the big benefits is you are centrally located to a lot of night life and entertainment options. It's usually a quick walk in any direction to find some delicious food, a drink (many bars ranging from dive to fancy), somewhere to dance, or some touristy attraction to take your visiting relatives to.... more
Overall, Nob Hill like most of San Francisco is incredibly safe. You need to be a little careful around the area that borders Tenderloin or Lower Nob Hill, which looks less safe (but certainly much more sensibly priced). In the main areas of Nob Hill, I have never seen or heard of any problems while I lived there for four years.... more
- Venticello (upmarket italian)
- Nob Hill Cafe (easy going italian)
- The Big 4 at Huntingdon Hotel (old world english)
- Top of the Mark (touristy, but amazing)
Things to do:
- Grace Cathedral, I'm not religious, but make sure you go in and visit this amazing building.
- Walking tours of the area. more here: http://www.sfcityguides.org/descriptions_table.html
- The cable car museum is surprisingly interesting... more