Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Laks, Home Buyer in Pleasanton, CA

In couple of places on this forum it is mentioned that we get good deals on dirt lots. Is it true? I thought

Asked by Laks, Pleasanton, CA Fri Jul 25, 2008

that we get good deals on homes that are readily available or being built.

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

You Are Right! Your best deals are derived from homes that are built. The builder has to eliminate his inventory as quickly as possible. The costs that are incurred with inventory ruins the builders equity margin account. If you are interested in new homes, give me a call. I will negotiate a favorable contract in your behalf. 925-984-1867
John
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
My question is not about the raw land outside of the new development. lot that has not started building yet in escalante vs home that is being built in escalate. which is better to negotiate?
Laks, I think it would be the latter, "good deals on homes that are readily available or being built." Raw land can have some infrastructure costs to contend with, depending on its location. -SteveO
If you are thinking about buying a home from a builder in process, there can be a good deal, or at least the opportunity to pick your own finishes, and so make the home really "your own". If you are thinking about buying a lot and building yourself, it isn't the deal it may appear to be.

I have built homes for personal use, and bought and sold land, and as a realtor, have helped clients buy land. There can be a lower overall cost on some properties for buying the land and then building, but first you start with soils engineering, the building restrictions, tree mapping and measuring, surveying. That is just to see if you can really build on the land. There are a lot of costs even before you have stuck a shovel in the ground! If the site is steep (which most in the bay area are, now) your foundation costs will be huge with how deeply you have to sink the piers. Then there is the water meter, connection to the sewer, etc. A deal? to live the dream of bulding your own place, maybe, and the whole thing will probably take at least two years.

there are some good deals on land outside of Livermore, but the good deals are the properties where you will never be allowed to build - you may bring in a travel trailer and spend your weekends there, fishing and getting away from it all. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 26, 2008
There are some real estate opportunities everyday all over the country, depends on whether it is for a residential or commercial property., based on your approval amount. Properties below market value can warrant a bidding war among buyers.
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
Laks, since the builder has accrued cost in the materials and labor to construct, the builder would be more apt to negotiate on a home being built. While raw land does have carry costs, the relative cost is smaller than the accrued costs of the partially completed building
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer