Market Conditions in Idaho>Question Details

Tyler Hill, Other/Just Looking in 83687

How do you calculate the number of months inventory for homes in a certain area?

Asked by Tyler Hill, 83687 Mon May 14, 2007

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

Tyler,
Here's a great way to analyze available inventory as it relates to past sales. First, forget the number of months inventory stuff. Rubish.

Focus on the fact that you are simply trying to get your mind around the housing market for a specific area in a moment in time.
To accomplish this for myself, I like to distribute active and recently sold. Distribute this data over a price interval and overlap the two bar graphs. This method gives a much clearer picture of market conditions for a specific area. Distribute the number of homes "for sale" across the pricing interval. I like to begin at $100,000 and increase every $25,000. Next, identify how many units (houses) are priced within each price interval.
One you have this done and bar-graphed, do the same thing for the most recent quarters sales. Overlay the two graphs and you will see the light. This method will answer the question of available inventory related to what's selling.

If you are going to use excel for this effort, you'll need to use the frequency formula.

To see this method of market analysis used in a sample, visit http://www.fizbomap.com/blog/2007/03/23/ada-county-housing-m…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2007
Tyler,

There is currently just over 6 months worth of inventory on the market in Ada county. If you need further stats or market infomation in the local area let me know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2007
inventory is usually the number of unsold homes at the end of a month divided by the same months sales rate. For example if there are 100 unsold homes at the end of april and during april 10 homes sold then there would be 10 months worth of inventory. hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 14, 2007
Here's another method, that utilizes pending sales in a specific area, for a more up to the minute snapshot of market view, rather than using closed sales.

1. Find the number of active listings in a specific area.
2. Find the number of current transactions that are pending sale in that area,
3. Divide the active listings by the pending transactions and multiple the result by 60 (days)
4. The result should be the days of inventory for that specific area.

Example:

300 Active listings/ 50 Pending transactions would be 360 days of inventory.

Likewise, 50 active listings / 125 pendings sales would be about 17 days on the market.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 3, 2007
Thanks Jamie, extremely helpful and to the point.
Flag Thu Nov 1, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer