Foreclosure in 85209>Question Details

Merton Mills, Other/Just Looking in Mesa, AZ

i am renting a home and found out that a trustee sale has been set on the home. does this mean that the home?

Asked by Merton Mills, Mesa, AZ Thu Mar 5, 2009

has been foreclosed? i dont feel i should have to pay my rent if the home is not owned by my landlord anymore

Help the community by answering this question:


i tried to work it out with the owner and he said pay me or i will evict you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 6, 2009
The house is likely about to go to foreclosure. Talk to the owners and work out an equitable solution.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 6, 2009
Hi Merton,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You unfortunately have to continue to pay your landlord until the trustee sale actually takes place. At that point your lease is no longer valid. What you can do is either talk with the owner directly or contact the trustee to find out what is happening and if the sale will be taking place, canceled or postponed. In the meantime, it would be wise to start locating a few alternative places to rent. Also, I would use the services of a real estate agent when you decide to finalize a new lease. I'm sure the last thing you would want to happen is to be in this same situation again.

Best of luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 6, 2009
I can't tell what the status of your home actually is from your description, but, if it is about to go through the foreclosure process and sell at the courthouse, there's a good chance that the bank holding the mortgage will end up owning it. If you want to see who get's it, you'll need to do some research and find out when it's coming up for sale and then attend the sale. If the bank gets it, you might be allowed to continue living in the house for some time. I've seen banks allow tenants to live in the house rent free (don't get your hopes up about this possibility), under the assumption that having someone living there is better than having it vacant, since vacant houses tend to deteriorate rapidly.

If you just sit there and don't do anything, you'll eventually be faced with a notice that you're being evicted. This can be unpleasant since you might not be given much time to move.

As for you not paying rent to your landlord, you'd probably be better off consulting an attorney for advice. If you can find out who ends up owning the home, you might be able to get them to rent it to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 6, 2009
If the trustee sale is set and actually happens then the owership will change and at least in my state you will be notified of possible sale and notified that you will be evicted. If you signed a lease, you are resposible for the rent but I would start looking for a new place.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 6, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Arizona > Maricopa County > Mesa > 85209 > Foreclosure in 85209 > Question
Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer