2. They may also need to pay off the taxes.
3. You can check with a title company in the area to run a quick title search and see where they stand.
4. If their circumstances have change....for example they were sick for 2-3 months and now they're back on their feet and able to make payments, they could ask for a loan modification. Typically that would add the 3-4-5 months worth of payments to the end of the loan.
5. If their circumstances haven't changed and they just can't afford to make the payments, the bank may not want to do a loan modification if they don't think your parents can continue to make the payments.
6. The other idea is to sell the house and move into something cheaper.
24hr/7day counseling non-profit HomeOwnership Preservation Foundation
Different resources for information
Information on how to find free legal assistance in each state.
Free legal resources in Texas..
Good luck, Dunes
If they are both over 62 you may want to look into a reverse mortgage.
As far as the title stuff goes, contact the title company that handled their original mortgage and see about getting a title search done
Sorry to be vague but you didnt really give a lot of details.
They can have a title company do a title search on their property. Cost about $60-100.
Feel free to contact me offline and I'll give you a recommendation.