How To... in Sunnyvale>Question Details

Aarthi, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

What's the procedure to get the county assessor's office revalue the cost of our home to assess property tax ?

Asked by Aarthi, Sunnyvale, CA Thu Jan 29, 2009

Bought our home in March 2008 and price has since then gone down. What to do to get the value re-assessed for calculating property tax ?

Help the community by answering this question:


Dear Aarthi,


You can apply for a re-assessment for the next Tax Roll when the cards are sent out from the County in the Mail in May 2009. That will be the assessed value as of January 1, 2009. File as soon as you receive the post-card, as last years response was so overwhelming, the assessors office cut off the early filing date prior to Sepember 15th as would be normal.

If you need help, I can provide you with Comparable Sales for your property, which helps the Assessor determine the Market Value of your property, that can be used as a supporting document for Declining Value of your property, as of January 1, 2009, but NO LATER than March 31, 2009. If the market value is lower as of January 1, then your assessed value will be lowered to the market value for the Fiscal Year beginning on July 1. The adjusted value will be reflected on your annual Tax Bill.

For Santa Clara County go to; there is a Prop 8 form online you can download for you fill out.

EACH COUNTY HAS THEIR OWN FORMS AND REGULATIONS. To file a claim with the County Assessors Office to have your Property Taxes Re-assessed go to:

Trust this information is helpful for my Friends, Neighbors and My Community members!
Contact me if you need further assistance.
Thanking you,
Nina Daruwalla
Realtor – Coldwell Banker, Cupertino
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 29, 2009
You should invest some time in reading about how the assessor sets the values. In most areas their websites explain not only the valuation process, but also the appeals process. There is usually a lag between the market value and the assessor's value....except when you sell. For a short time, the values are correct.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 29, 2009
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
What you want to do is request a Prop 8 decline in value review. You can make the request by phone, fax, mail, or email.

You can also get the forms on the assessor's website

phone: 408.299.5300
FAX: 408.298.3015

You must do this prior to June 15, 2009 and will only be applied to the 2009 tax roll.

good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 29, 2009
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 29, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer