Quality of Life in 27540>Question Details

Springhill D…, Other/Just Looking in 27540

There is a Protected Tree area behind our home with a pond that was drained by our builder. What, if

Asked by Springhill Development, 27540 Fri Nov 2, 2007

anything can be done to restore that area? Can't find rules about Protected Tree Areas? anywhere.

Help the community by answering this question:


Chances are the drained pond was a temporary storm water retention pond that the developer installed during the construction of the neighborhood. In any case, I'm sure the pond was drained for good reason. As former builder I can assure that builders don't do expensive things like draining a pond for no reason (read: without being forced to). So I agree with Mike, give the builder a call to find out the reason they drained it, but I wouldn't expect to be able to restore the pond in a protected area without jumping through a lot of environmental hoops. I hope this helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 15, 2009
I would think it would be easier to contact the builder and ask him why he drained the pond? He may have all the answers that you need. He may have set it up to fill back up, they may have told him to drain it because of healt reasons. Go to the source, make your life easy
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2007
Call the city conservation people or the local "eco friendly group" office. They'll make it difficult for the builder...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 2, 2007
If you are located in an HOA or Planned Unit Development, chances are that dry pond may have a specific reason for being. It may need to stay dry - for runoff. Patti is correct about the planning dept - but sometimes that opens up a can of worms. Try to see what was in the original plan and your HOA docs.
If it is more of a small pond, it may not even be on the plan.
I have seen it take three or four years to push pond changes through county or local authorities.
Web Reference: http://talleyhursthomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 2, 2007
You might try contacting your local planning and zoning department:


Or the Wake County Planning Department: http://www.wakegov.com/planning/default.htm

They have a database with all the ordinances, including those created regarding tree protection.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 2, 2007
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer