Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Michael, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

What can be done with unwarranted rooms after buying?

Asked by Michael, San Francisco, CA Fri Aug 29, 2008

After buying a house, is it possible to have the unwarranted 'bonus' rooms signed off on? Can I apply for a permit as if the work had never been done, or is it best to just rip it out and start from scratch? Just wondering how to make it less of a liability for the future.


Help the community by answering this question:



Contact your local building department and ask them this question. Every city and county make their own rules. You might also check with a local contractor who does room additions in your area. They may be able to advise you of your chances of getting the addition permited after the fact. You should offer to pay them a consulting fee, as they may get no further work from you.

In my experience, usually, if a room addition was done by a contractor or knowledgeable homeowner in good workmanlike fashion, conforms with building code, and has been on the property for some time, you can get it approved. You will have to provide plans or some equivalent (again up to your local bldg inspectors), they may need to open up a wall or two to check that proper materials were used, you will have to pay the permit fee and the inspection fees and that will be that. If, however, the addition is clearly not up to standard, it might be less expensive to tear it down and start from scratch.

Hope this helps and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis
Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 30, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer