Home Selling in Fair Lawn>Question Details

Dee, Home Seller in Fair Lawn, NJ

Do I have to have a carbon monoxide detector in my cellar in order to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy?

Asked by Dee, Fair Lawn, NJ Thu May 14, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


"The CPSC recommends that consumers purchase and install carbon monoxide detectors with labels showing they meet the requirements of the new UL standard 2034. The CPSC also recommends that every home have at least one carbon monoxide detector for each floor of the home, while UL recommends placing carbon monoxide detectors within hearing range of each sleeping area. Additionally, UL recommends placement near, but not directly above, combustion appliances such as furnaces and water heat- ers, near fire places or in the garage. UL also discourages placement of detectors within five feet of kitchen stoves and ovens, or near areas where household chemicals and bleach are stored. Detectors may be placed near the floor or near the ceiling since carbon monoxide has nearly the same density as air.

Legislated detector requirements

In North America, some national, state and local municipalities require installation of CO detectors in new and existing homes as well as commercial businesses, among them Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Vermont and New York City as well as the Canadian province of Ontario. Installers are encouraged to check with their local municipality to determine what specific requirements have been enacted in their jurisdiction."

read the full article at:

contact the borough construction department for the exact location they want you to place the unit(s). As far as my experience goes, they will want it not near the heater but near the sleeping areas.
Web Reference: http://Ask4Greg.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 15, 2009
you do not need a carbon monoxide detector in the basement, however you do need a smoke detector. carbon monoxide detectors are needed on each level of the home where there are bedrooms and must be placed within 10 feet of each bedroom entrance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 11, 2009
Hi Dee, go to your township website and look for the code for fire inspection - you should find the requirements detailed there as well as instructions as to the process and fees.
My advice - follow them to the letter - generally there is a fee and if you fail, you pay it again - so it costs you extra time and money if you fail the inspection - which is super annoying as you head to the finish line of your sale.

Sounds like you've succeeded in selling your home - Congrats and good luck with your closing.

Jeannie Feenick
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 16, 2009
I believe that if you have a heating system there, you need a detector. That is covered under the state fire c/o inspection regulations.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 15, 2009
It's possible you do; but check with your borough hall as indicated by another responder. Also note that in many towns, the more calendar time you give the borough before closing date, the less the inspection will cost you. Also, sometimes you can save a few dollars if you don't need an appointment time and allow them to stop by any time during the day. Typically, the inspection cost for the CO is $50. Best wishes for a smooth closing!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 14, 2009
Each town is different. You need to check with the building department at the borough ( http://www.fairlawn.org/ ) and they will tell you where to mount it and how far from the bedrooms.
Web Reference: http://Ask4Greg.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 14, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer