Property Q&A in Chicago>Question Details

Robert Alcorn, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL


Asked by Robert Alcorn, Chicago, IL Mon May 4, 2009

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:


Dear Robert,

If you have not already done so, then I'd first suggest speaking with a mortgage lending professional to get yourself a pre-approval to purchase which will give you an idea of exactly how much you might want to spend on a property.

If you do not yet have a real estate agent, then you should know before you commit to working with someone specific who replies to you here that generally speaking (with some possible exceptions) the agent who walks in with you to see any property for the first time will "by default" become you real estate agent (at least for that property)- unless you have a written agreement with a different agent who you have already designated as your real estate agent.

If that is the case (you've already signed an agreement with an agent to represent you) and you'd like to continue to work with your own designated agent, then you should contact your agent to arrange a showing/viewing of any property for you.

Again if you do not yet have a real estate agent- I would suggest speaking with multiple agents before you make a choice on whom you'd like to work with, and I would not necessarily rule out people who have responded to your request here. These agents tend to be pretty technologically up to date (compared to the vast majority of agents), and as a result they can often respond to requests more quickly.

I have also included some links on how to choose a Realtor if you are just starting out whether you are buying or selling (or both).

Let me know if you have any questions or if you need additional assistance. Good luck.

Christopher Thomas
Broker Associate, Sudler Sotheby's International Realty
773-418-0640 (cell)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 7, 2009

This property is currently under contract.

If you are going to buy a property like this are you prepared to invest a signficant amount in repairs to make it habitable? Many of these types of homes require $20,000-50,000 of repairs because they have not been maintained and in many cases they have been destroyed on the interior.

If you would like to learn more about short sales or foreclosures, give me a call at 773-244-1110.

Best of luck!

Eric Marcus ABR, CPA, CRS
Certified Negotiation Expert
ESM Realty
Your Real Friend in Chicago Real Estate
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 4, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer