Home Insurance in 60614>Question Details

JMR, Home Buyer in 60610

Home owner's Insurance

Asked by JMR, 60610 Mon Oct 8, 2007

What's an "average" yearly cost of a homeowner's policy in Chicago, say the condo price is 285k? No super fancy stuff inside to protect just an average place? I keep trying to get a figure and different payment calculators have a wide swing on cost. Just trying to figure out monthly expenses if I buy a condo. Thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:


You are looking for a policy that covers:
1) Damage to inside the studs
2) Liability (if one of your friends falls and can't get up)
3) Contents (if your furniture, etc gets stolen, or damaged)

So there are basically two policies...one for damage, one for liability. It all depends on where in the country you are, but down in New Orleans it runs $40 to $70 per month.
Web Reference: http://www.iansellsnola.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 9, 2007

My husband and I own a few small investment condos in Chicago and our average yearly cost is $350. However, the cost will depend on type of building, location and amount of coverage.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 8, 2007
Hello JMR and thanks for your post!

If you live in a condominium association, legally, you are only the owner of the "box of air" bounded by the walls of your home, so you will need only contents insurance for your unit, sometimes referred to as an "HO-6" policy. The homeowners association, which owns the building, will purchase and have fire and liability insurance for the building, pipes, roof, and foundation.

Here's what you should purchase:

1. Contents insurance for the items in your home (estimate the value of your contents, and take pictures of valuable items, such as pianos, jewelry, televisions, etc.). You should also include an "upgrade" coverage for those items that have been replaced or upgraded by you or the previous homeowners. Typical policies cover "as built" replacements.
2. Theft and fire policy for your interior contents
3. Liability insurance for slip and fall hazards in the home
4. Loss Assessment Coverage to cover the cost of the deductible for a major loss or a special assessment due to an uncovered catastrophy.

Speak with your insurance professional regarding the appropriate coverage for you. Since you do not purchase insurance for the building, the cost should be considerably less than for a single family home of the same size as your condominium.

Good luck!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
Co-Author: Homeowners Association: A Guide to Leadership
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 5, 2009
There are a lot of variables at play here. You can get an insurance quote on line, or you can pick up the phone and call a local agent....should just take a few minutes. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 8, 2007
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer