Remodel & Renovate in 95132>Question Details

Ana, Other/Just Looking in San Jose, CA

What needs to be done to get a permit to convert your garage into a room?

Asked by Ana, San Jose, CA Mon Feb 2, 2009

I want to know what needs to be done in order to be able to convert your garage ito a room? I've been tld youneed a special permit form the city to be able to convert your garage and rent it out. Does anybody know, what are the steps into doing this? And will it be pricy?

Thank you!

Help the community by answering this question:


You don't really need an architect.
Any designer or draftsman can take care of it.
A structural engineer might need to be involved also.

Let me know if you need any help with this
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 21, 2009
First question:

Where is the property? Different cities and Counties have unique requirements.

Identify where you property is (Santa Clara County Pockeck, City of San Jose etc..) and head over to their planning department. They will be more than happy to go over the requirements with you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 3, 2009
Well, you need a design plan prepared by a licensed architect. You need to submit to San Jose Planning department along with the plan, you also need the permit department to approve it.
City of San Jose is good to get back to you by phone.
If you have little time it is better to asked a general contractor to do it for you. Most have tons of experience
saving you lots of time.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 2, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer