Question Details

Daniel, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

how can I look for a house that has a guest house on or a mother in law quarters?

Asked by Daniel, Houston, TX Tue Aug 14, 2007

Help the community by answering this question:


Hello Daniel:

If you can specify which location you are looking for, i am sure some realtors from that location might be able to help you look that up.

If not, go to, click on Find a Home, enter the city, state and then click on Advanced Option right next to the Search button, and look for multi-units.

However, even with single family residency, if you read the description carefully, it might say that it has a guest house or mother-in-law quarters. Now a days, some homes have two master suites or 2 story homes will have a separate guest suite downstairs and master suite and other rooms upstairs; these are all your options.

To save the work, look for a reputable Realtor in your area. It is a Realtor's job to know the local properties and market condition, it is also their job to interview their clients and look for the right house for their clients.

Best of Luck,
3 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2007
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
1. When searching a real estate web site try the refined search options that let you pick more specific items.

2. Get an agent. Agnets have access to better and more qualifying information than the general public, even with all the web real estate sites. Agents can search expired or withdrawn listings and may be able to find you something that is not even on the market.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2007
Hi Daniel: Most sites have a feature called “advanced criteria” Here, you could search for listings with the words “in law, in-law, au-pair, extended family” .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2007
I want to rent a mother inlaw quarters. In the Reno, Sparks area Nevada. What can I look under I"m only finding apt. rentals?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 7, 2013
Get with your Realtor. This is difficult to search for on the public sites, but we can set up the search in a few different ways in our MLS. There are options to search for Guest Quarters, and also ways to do text searches in various fields for mother or guest. You do need to be specific with the realtor for exactly what you envision as a mother-in-law. I find many agents list MIL as a split bedroom with bath, and that's not what everyone wants. Some people want completely seperate quarters with kitchenette and lockoff. Also might be interesting to discuss option of 1st floor versus stairs. Many places I find advertised have MIL above detached garage and sometimes above attached garage, but this doesn't always work for MIL who can't climb stairs. Let me know if you need a referral to an agent who can help you search.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2007
can you find us an agent who can help us find a home rental that has a guest house included. I live near Pleasanton california
Flag Tue Dec 23, 2014
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Find a Realtor in the area where you want to buy. Many planned communities restrict against these living arrangements, so a Realtor can save you time and frustration. Good Luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2007
Daniel....I would start with locating a Realtor in the area you are considering. They can setup a search for you from their MLS or own website to look for in in-law, granny suite or au pair unit. Some websites will allow you to look of other paramaters. It will also depend on how the listing agent has described the property.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer