Question Details

Judi Walker, Other/Just Looking in North Carolina

Can surrounding landowners keep me from my landlock'd land?

Asked by Judi Walker, North Carolina Thu Jun 12, 2008

It was inherited and been in the family for over 70 years..wooded area..but 2 owners surround it..What are my options..One owner is a prominent retired officer of the courts and Im to expect trouble,Im told..I want to have the land surveyed.

Help the community by answering this question:


You need to consult with a local real estate attorney.
Here in California you cannot be kept from your land. An easement would be granted you usually with the most direct but least costly access to a road. I would be suprised if there was any place in this country where you would not be able to get access.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 13, 2008
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Absolutely.....consult an attorney. I'm certain they will check the local and state laws that apply as well a title records for the property.
Common sense would say you are protected.......however, common sense is not always available.

Good luck,
The Eckler Team
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 13, 2008
Whether or not adjacent property owners can keep you landlocked will depend on your loacal and state laws. I would recommend talking a reputable Real Estate Attorney about your specific situation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
Ask a local attorney, but I would venture to say no. The law likely stipulates that you are entitled to access by right of way.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
I think you need to speak with an attorney on this one.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer