Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Henry, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

if an agent shows a buyer several homes and there is no contract and no verbal agreement, can the buyer get

Asked by Henry, San Francisco, CA Mon Jun 9, 2008

rid of the agent and choose another?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Henry,
I'd have to second Michael in that you want to establish good communications with your agent so that everyone is on the same page and you both have well defined expectations for the relationship. That said, I've *fired* a few clients knowing that we weren't working well together, and recommended agents that fit their style and values better than I.

This agent has showed you several homes, if they are not a close possible match with what you've told the agent you want to purchase, I sense you have a mis-communication going on that you should definitely bring up in conversation. When you find the right Realtor, you won't want to work with anyone else. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Short answer is yes but if you proceed in buying a property that the agent showed you the broker could go after the brokerage fee as the procuring cause.
Hopefully you have ethical reasons to change repesentation and have offered the agent the opportunity to correct the situation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
You should never work with anyone that you are not satisfied with. You need to build a good relationship with your agent so they know what you're looking for and can truely represent you in the transaction. If you have complaints, you need to voice them. No one is a mindreader. Now, if you have no complaints with your current agent and you're trying to go to someone else because they've made some kind of promise to you...that's not right. In fact, the other agent could be in trouble because they are interferring with agency. Loyalty is a two-way street. Working with a great agent can save you thousands so the decision of who to work with should never be taken lightly. All agents are not created equal.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
The short and sweet answer is yes. But even better, you can receive a 50% commission rebate from my company SharpBuyers.com at closing. We will provide full service representation, negotiate your offer, and give you 50% of the buyer agent's commission at closing.
Web Reference: http://www.sharpbuyers.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Dear Henry,

Of course you can. The agent will have been disappointed about spending so much time with you and not seeing a result. What did the agent do? Is this something you can talk to him/her about and rectify? Can you try that first? If not, the simple answer is yes.

Good luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
A buyer who has no contract (exclusive agreement) with a buyers agent can get rid of that agent as they see fit, and choose another agent. However because of the high price of gas, more experianced agents are asking for an exclusive, because we must use our time wisely. What I recommend to the buyers is to sit and chat with the agent over issues and then judge the time the agent has spent in business, on schooling and what designations the agent has accomplished. This will tell you his commitment to Real Estate. Then watch him go to work. If you ever disagree and want to move on, a good agent will never want to work with someone who doesn't appreciate what he is trying to do, and will let them out of the agreement.
Web Reference: http://PaulMVPteam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Yes, with one exception. If you are interested in a home shown by the agent you are dumping, that agent still has a reasonable claim of procuring cause of sale, and you would likely be setting up the new agent to loose their commission.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer