Question Details

adidas, Home Buyer in 65803

how can i legally terminate my contract with my terribly unprofessional realtor?

Asked by adidas, 65803 Sun Jun 1, 2008

i signed a contract with her for 6 months, ending aug 1st...however since January she has proven herself to be very untrustworthy, unreliable, this point, we have signed on a house but if failed inspection, and now i have chosen to use the home inspection clause to terminate my contract with the seller...does that mean i am free from her as well? i am still looking to buy this summer and need to be free of any connection to her...any suggestions?

Help the community by answering this question:



It's as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4 ...

It's your money and your future .. most of all, agents work for you - not the other way around.

1.) list the situations, all of the times and why you're not happy.

2.) call and make an appointment with the broker/manager

3.) sit down, explain it and get a written letter of immediate cancellation of your current contract.

4.) find yourself a quality realtor from a different office, or go FSBO...

-- end of story.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 1, 2008
Not knowing what state you are in makes it difficult. Each state governs the real estate laws for their respective areas. While they are very similar they can have differences. I would suggest speaking to your realtor's Broker-in-charge. You should be able to terminate the contract at will. Although if you go back and buy a home that the realtor has shown you this might make you liable for their commission. So with that in mind Jim has a point in that you should take your buyers agency agreement and have a lawyer look at it. Most agreements will have a period of time after the contract has expired or was terminated in which if you buy a home they showed you then you will still owe the commission.

Hope this helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 1, 2008
I doubt seriously that terminating the contract under your option is among the clauses in your buyer's agency agreement. You should read it and consult with an attorney if you have any questions. An attorney may also be able to help you terminate the buyer's agency agreement.

Before you hire an attorney, you should ask your agent to get her broker to release you from the buyer's agency agreement. The broker will likely want to set you up with another of the agents in the brokerage. In all likelihood, the agent assigned will be among the broker's better, more experienced agents.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 1, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer