Home Buying in 90638>Question Details

Che, Home Buyer in La Mirada, CA

How can I check if the improvements in the house I am planning to buy are permitted? Can I get copies or blue?

Asked by Che, La Mirada, CA Mon May 12, 2008

prints from the county or City? The house is in La Mirada CA

Help the community by answering this question:


A title representative can also pull the permits for you. In addition there are companies like Permit Pullers that do what their name implies- they pull permits! Your agent should be able to steer you in the right direction in regards to all of these things. If you are not working with an agent be very careful that the sellers are disclosing everything they know about the property and that you read through the disclosures very carefully. I would also suggest paying the money to have a thorough home inspection prior to removing your contingencies. It is well worth the money to avoid any major surprises in the future, and you can ask for credits or a price reduction if you find something like a roof that needs repair, bad plumbing, damaged chimney, etc. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any guidance.
Web Reference: http://www.keyserhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 12, 2008
Check with your agent. If you haven't found an agent, contact me. I should be able to help you with that.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 18, 2008
3 ways for your to protect yourself - 1. Do a Home Inspection - the home inspector can point out any items that are questionable. 2. Review the disclosures the sellers fill out regarding the property 3. Get copies of the permits from the city.

Good Luck!!
Billy & Kim
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 13, 2008
HI Che,

Your agent should be able to help you and tell you if the improvements had been permitted through the seller's disclosure reports. But bear in mind that permits are mostly needed if there are alterations on the property and these permits are available in the city hall for a price if they are too new to come out of the dataquick reports.

Good Luck,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 12, 2008
Contact the county and/or city planning and zoning department to ensure permits were granted and final inspection was acheived and approved.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 12, 2008
The city of La Mirada building and planning department have most of the permits on file for most homes, I have called them in advance of a visit and they have been nice enough to have the record ready when I arrived. It is important that you check that any particular permit was actually completed through the final inspection process and signed off by one of their inspectors.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
The first place I would start to verify if an improvement has been permitted is to go to city hall and ask to see the permit jacket for the property address. Having experience with La Mirada as both a Real Estate agent and prior resident, I know that the city keeps good records and are very willing to assist. Many times the seller may not know the history of the home if it is an older home. Many of the homes in La Mirada were built in the late 1950's to early 1960's. La Mirada City Hall is located on La Mirada Boulevard across from Biola University.
Hope this helps!
If I can assist further, please contact me @ 714-396-3283!

Good Luck,
David Clesceri
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer