Hocuspocus, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

I am a single woman renting a NYC co-op and am experiencing something akin to sexual harrassment in the bldg.

Asked by Hocuspocus, New York, NY Mon May 12, 2008

I have called cops but we cant prove who is behind it- seems to be folks covering up for one another. Any advice or legal help out there?

Help the community by answering this question:


The EEOC option (see below) may prove most immediately feasible for you. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you believe you have been discriminated against by an employer, labor union or employment agency when applying for a job or while on the job because of your race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, or believe that you have been discriminated against because of opposing a prohibited practice or participating in an equal employment opportunity matter, you may file a charge of discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Charges may be filed in person, by mail or by telephone by contacting the nearest EEOC office. If there is not an EEOC office in the immediate area, call toll free 800-669-4000 or 800-669-6820 (TDD) for more information. To avoid delay, call or write beforehand if you need special assistance, such as an interpreter, to file a charge.
There are strict time frames in which charges of employment discrimination must be filed. To preserve the ability of EEOC to act on your behalf and to protect your right to file a private lawsuit, should you ultimately need to, adhere to the following guidelines when filing a charge.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 21, 2010

Make sure to take copious notes on date, time and what happened. I also suggest bringing a tape recorder every time you have a conversation with the abuser through your phone or a small recording device you can carry in your purse.

Then when you have proof, contact an attorney. The more proof you have, the better your case.

Try not to speak to them and email all correspondences and keep diligent records.

I was subject to harassment as a single female in my building as well, and I know what you are going through.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 9, 2013
33 west 56th street Centurion building has same problem. Corrupt building. Very SHADY!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 5, 2013
is it 33 west 56th stree?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 5, 2013
I am so sorry you are dealing with that, hope it gets better!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 17, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that. Make sure you document everything that is going on. Do not be afraid to notify the authorities. In my opinion the quicker you get this resolved the better off you will be. Even if you cannot prove it make sure the police have everything on file!! good luck
Web Reference: http://www.elliman.com/pcm
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 4, 2008
Sure... seek the advice of an attorney on this matter.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 12, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer