Home Buying in 28749>Question Details

Herbert Larr…, Home Buyer in Little Switzerland, NC

I cannot get to settlement. Should I sign something? Should the attorney send the closing papers to me?

Asked by Herbert Larrick, Little Switzerland, NC Tue Mar 10, 2009

I signed a contract to buy a home in NC. I live in MD. For some reason my son's name got on the contract. His name was not to be there. I signed the contract anyway being told that the attorney would contact me about this. I called the attorney 3 times to let him know that I did not want my son's name on the deed. The attorney has yet to call me. What do I do?

Help the community by answering this question:


Good Morning Herbert-

Attorney's in real estate work diferently than in other states. Their job is not to draw a contract, but to pull title work, deed, and prepare settlement statement. Do you have a buyer's agent representing you? If not, is their a listing agent on the property? If yes, to eaither that is who you need to contact right away. I am not sure why they would tell you that the attorney would contact you about the name on the contract. That is something that you are able to change and initial on your own. This situation sounds a bit odd and I would be sure to continue contacting the attorney or agent involved until you get some anwers. And yes, you can get the closing paperwork and deed fed-ex'd to you is you sign in front of a notary. It seems you may need to look further into some other things before getting to closing. Let me know if you have further questions about the situation. I would be happy to give insight on a "typical" NC home closing process.

Jessica Riffle
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 11, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer