The best thing to do is come up and see ALL the different areas based on what YOU are looking for.Based on what you want...then someone can show you only the areas that will work well for you...
1. Country Oaks (NE) - affordable and very family oriented, homes w/character, built in late 80's, early 90's
2. Ridgewood Estates (NE) - convenient location, houses on hills, built in the 1990's, nice area
3. Gold Hills (NE) - Golf community built in the 1990's with some newer homes
4. Alder Creek (NE) - newer homes built in 2004/2005, walking distance to Mountain View middle school and walking trails, great location.
5. Ravenwood (NE Redding) - smaller size homes (1500/1600 avg.sq.ft.) - 1990's, much more affordable than the above 4 areas ($250,000).
6. As to my favorite SE neighborhoods, I recommend Carriage Glen, Silver Creek, Western Ranches, Saratoga Estates and Copper Creek.
7. The West part of town is very desirable (a little more pricey), although you can find some incredible deals in some pocket areas that hold their value over time. Look for houses in Mary Lake, Sunset Terrace, Sunset West, Lake Side (new development), Ridgeview and Riverpark Highlands.
There's a house in Riverpark Highlands for $299,000, 3/2, 1,600 sq.ft. just a few streets over from another house listed at $925,000 - that's the kind of neighborhood I look for when representing clients.
I hope this was helpful.
Check out my website at http://www.reddinghomegirl.com (or click the link below) and go to the "About Redding" page. You'll find plenty of information on Redding, nearby cities and Shasta County, as a whole.
After that, if you'd like any more information, just give me a call or shoot me an email. As a Redding native, I am happy to brag about this great city!