Dolores Perf…, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

My daughter moved into my mom's house in 2006 while mom was dying of alzheimer. When she died in 10/07 the?

Asked by Dolores Perfetto, Los Angeles, CA Tue Apr 1, 2008

property was left to myself and I need the property's rental to survive. Daughter has never paid rent, nor worked and has very little income, yet how can I get her to move out, she refuses to move. She can move with me if she has to, she has a 9 year old child. I feel she should work and pay her own rent for her family, she doesn't agree. As it is she doesn't have to work as she gets child support and a small amount in aid. She has exausted her 5 years on relief. How to get her out? 3 day notice? We are in rent controlled Los Angeles. She has not paid a cent in rent and is still living on utilities in Mom's name. I might add she refused to help me in the caretaking of my mom while she was dying. Help!

Help the community by answering this question:


You need some legal advice, more than help from a real estate agent. Contact your local legal aid society, and good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 1, 2008
Hi, Dolores. First of all, let me say I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. I lost my mother last April and I know it is difficult at best.

Secondly, wow! I am so sorry to hear that your daughter is taking advantage of you and of the system apparently. You may have already tried this, but let me suggest a different approach before you hire the attorney. Can you sit your daughter down and tell her you will open your home to her with the requirement that she get some training/education and start making steps toward supporting herself and her son. Does she realize that you cannot afford to keep the house without income coming in from the house?

Then, if that doesn't work immediately - she doesn't even have time to think about this - hire the attorney. Just be prepared for a further strain to be put on your relationship if you do. However, it could be her wakeup call to do what is right!

All my best,
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 1, 2008
Hi Dolores,

I agree with Monique. You need to get a lawyer to evict your daughter and all things will follow. As you said, she needs to earn her own keep. I hope you have the back bone to follow-up on this especially this property was left by your Mom to You. Good Luck and just keep in mind that You are doing the right thing.
All the best,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 1, 2008
nice daughter
hope she doesn't reproduce much more


good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 1, 2008
Hello Dolores,

I had a came across a similar situtation recently. Person passed away and there daughter (who was not left the house) moved in. What they did in that situtation is hired an eviction attorney. I can find the number of the person they used if you shoot me an email directly as I'll have to contact the owner to get it. My email is


0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 1, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer