Home Selling in High Bridge>Question Details

Vgriffin, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

can a widow sell a house if her name is not on the deed?

Asked by Vgriffin, New York, NY Wed Mar 26, 2008

My grandmother has maintained and lived in her house for 22 years her husband died about 9 years into the marriage. she continued t pay the mortage and other financial obligations for the property.her husband never changed his deed or will from his first marrriage. what rights does she have to the property being that she continues to pay for maintenace of the house. she is now 81.

Help the community by answering this question:


If her husband passed away and the will was still from a previous marriage, I would recommend seeing an attorney. The house issue may be clouded by the legal issues of the will if it was never settled.
Web Reference: http://www.MikeVail.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
Consult an attorney. Laws vary by state and even by county, so you need a local attorney familiar with probate issues. However, such issues arise more often than you might expect. Most likely, the situation can be resolved without an outrageous amount of time or effort/money invested. The attorney just needs to know what he/she is doing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 28, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Consulate an attorney!!!
There are many different scenarios that may can occur regarding property ownership. But sometimes it is very simple. And the simplest way to approach this scenario if to use a REAL ESTATE attorney. Good luck in resolving the situation. Feel free to contact me.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 28, 2008
I would be with the more conservative posts. We are not attorneys. Contact one that specializes in probate. You have some pretty serious points that I would not want to even SUGGEST that I know the answer about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
It is possible vgriffin if your state is a community property state. It would be good idea to check and see if it is. Here in AZ it is and a widow could sell it. You may have to go to your title company if there is one collecting the monthly payment or look in your records and find out who was the original title company whom handled the transaction. explain to them and see what you need to do to start the procedure . If your state is not a community property state, you may need to see a real estate attorney to help you get thie property in your name. goos luck hp domas hpdomas realty peoria az.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
You need to contact an estate attorney immediately. Contact me offline and I will be happy to make a recommendation. Gail@GailGladstone.com
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer