While extending the front set back is not as common as adding on to the rear, as long as it falls within the city's requirements and standards, then you should be okay with the city.
Towards the end of last year, there was a request along the same lines for a home in the 94085 area.
A letter from a neighbor suggested that the change would impact the nature of the street scape. The city took this letter into account and ultimately still approved the home owner's request.
As for feelings, it's nice that you are taking into account your neighbors' feelings. Ultimately, I think it's a case by case basis and you'll want to "tread lightly" in regards to sharing your plans until you know exactly what your options are.
Hope that helps,
I got a proposal from the architect like below. Does it sound reasonable? Should I consider another proposal? Thanks.
Subject: One-Story House Addition Design at the above address
1) Add Living room, Master suites, powder room and new two-car garage at front of the existing house.
2) Convert existing garage to living area.
Scope of work:
1. Prepare and provide preliminary floor plan and elevations for discussion.
2. Submit drawings to Cityâ€™s review and approval.
3. Prepare site plan, floor plans; elevations, construction document and Energy Title 24 for Cityâ€™s plan check.
4. Coordinate with City and consultants.
1. Acceptance of this agreementâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦$1,000.00
2. Preliminary floor plans and elevations approvalâ€¦â€¦$2,000.00
3. Submit for Cityâ€™s review and approvalâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦$1,000.00
4. Submit for Cityâ€™s Building Plan Checkâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦$3,600.00
5. Building Permit readyâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦$1,000.00
6. The total amount aboveâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦$8,600.00
7. Work does not include Civil Engineer and Soil Engineer consulting services.
8. The Client shall pay all printing ($2.0 Ea. Sheet) & plotting fee ($20.00 Ea. Sheet); About $250.00
9. The Client shall pay jurisdiction fees.
10. Any additional work will be based on "Time and Material", the
hourly rate is seventy-five ($80.00) dollars, with min. two hour
The houses on my street are not on the same line...
To get a 3-D rendering is really a good idea. I don't want to protrude too much...
I have found a professional architect to do the design for me...