Tech Tips in Clearwater>Question Details

Linda Fletch…, Home Buyer in Clearwater Beach, FL

Are Town House policies written as seperate policies or do they fall under Condo insurance?

Asked by Linda Fletcher, Clearwater Beach, FL Thu Mar 6, 2008

I filed a damage claim with my townhouse insurance and they said they don't insure townhomes. They wrote the policy as a condo.

Help the community by answering this question:


I'm sorry to hear of your trouble, Linda! Insurance companies can be challenging, but keep trying!

Towmhomes are all different--some are PUDs (Planned Unit Developments), and others are, in fact, treated just like a condo. All of that information should be in the documents you received at closing, one of which should be the Assocation docs. The insurance company accesses information right out of the proeprty records, so there is absolutely no reason they should not have known that yours was a townhome--don;t take that for an answer, but do go to the association and find out what they do and do not cover.
Hope this helps--good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
Linda - Loretta is absolutely right and you should contact the association and also a knowledgeable attorney. Good luck with this.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 29, 2008
Hey Linda, you need legal advice. Contact an attorney to advise you on your options and your next course of action. Good luck to you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
Linda- You should keep trying. Insurance companies always try to avoid paying the claims. Consult a real estate attorney, or your condo association board, so you know exactly which documents to file with the insurance company, then keep trying! If the insurance company is legally supposed to pay, then they eventually will. Don't stop trying until you know you've reached the end of the road; which should be a payment!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
If you had been paying insurance and now they don't want to pay the claim, you should get an attorney. In order to write your policy you provided all the documents, so likely was their error to not look at the details, you should not be liable for their lack of diligence.

Usually townhouses and condos have policies that cover the structure as part of the HOA, and residents are responsible for getting Renters insurance (basically cover the property inside). If HOA does not cover the structure, then you buy a separate policy.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer