Leslie Post, Home Seller in Jacksonville Beach, FL

Where does one go to get a home appraised for a divorce settlement? I have been advised that I don't need

Asked by Leslie Post, Jacksonville Beach, FL Thu Feb 28, 2008

the most expensive kind of appraisal, but I do need something from someone. This is uncharted territory for me. any help would be appriciated. Leslie

Help the community by answering this question:


A great deal involves condition and location. Both parties will have to agree on a local appraiser or the mean value between the opinion of two appraisers, one selected by each of you. The names of appraisers are plentiful in the telephone directory.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2008
Hi Leslie,

Sorry you are going through this.

Two appraisers at the beach I like a lot, both in business a long time, knowledgeable of our community and real professionals are: Len Hileman at 904-270-2250 and Spencer Gregg at 249-1300.

Remember, a licensed professional has a code of ethics and guidelines to work with. If an appraiser did anything but an objective appraisal, he could risk losing his license. You are pretty safe to get a licensed, established appraiser.

Good luck. Here is something someone told me once: "I cried as they cut down the trees, and then when they were gone, I realized I could see the moon for the first time." I hope it is like that for you.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 8, 2009
Leslie, I've received several clients from a divorce attorney. Speaking from experience in this area, since both parties to the transaction are not likely to agree with whomever was hired by the soon-to-be ex, I would recommend that both parties hire a local appraiser of their choosing. Or, if possible, both parties should agree on one appraiser.

If the property is being sold, then both parties should interview and agree to hire a specific REALTOR, then ask that REALTOR for recommendations. Any of these methods will help keep the peace during the process of the divorce and sale. If you're not going to sell, and are planning to turn over the agreed amount of the proceeds to your soon-to-be ex, then obviously, a REALTORS services won't be needed. In that case, consult your attorneys and agree with your ex on one of the other methods.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2008
Leslie, your best bet would be to have a local appraiser give you a market value analysis and determine how much your property is worth. any appraiser can gve you an honest assesment based on your home.Indeed, if you are planning to sell, you will definitely need a complete interior/exterior appraisal.If you would like to have an idea first before hrirng an appraiser.You might want to look on the internet in any of the real estate wesites..One of the most used is REALTOR.COM, TRULIA.COM, ZILLOW.COM...ETC.These are just a few.This will give you a good start to accomplish what you are looking for..Thanks, Joe
Web Reference: http://WWW.LOANSWITHJOE.COM
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2008
A suggesstion, one that is usually accepted by both parties is having EACH lawyer use a service they are familiar with, then finding a "happy" medium between the 2 numbers. This way, both sides feel fairly treated and the lawyers find a base to work from.
Good luck
John Jelinski
Crossroads Realty, Barnegat
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer