Dquan, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Would the plans/drawings for a home built in 1995 be filed somewhere in the Town?

Asked by Dquan, New York, NY Thu Sep 25, 2008

I am converting a walk-in closet in the master bdr to a bathroom in my saltbox style home in Southampton (Shinnecock). The "slant" in the roof will have to be broken thru to allow the squared off bathroom, making a dormer. I believe a building permit is needed. However, the architect says he has to redraw the entire house with plumbing, etc. This is ver costly. Aren't there filed plans of the house somewhere in the Town?.

Help the community by answering this question:


Suggest that you check with your town building and permit department about your plans and the necessary CO needed if any. You may want to check, through references, if you can find a 'reliable and solid' hands-on improvement contractor ( an everyday working carpenter) and find out if you can avoid some exotic and unecessary expenses. Its worth a shot, interview a few of these guys and get their bids. Most of these guys can do this stuff on the back of an envelope. The construction if it is done right will last as long as you and I will be around.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 25, 2008

The plans for your current home should be on file at the Southampton Town Building Department. They are open till 4 PM weekdays. It is best to call ahead and ask them if they have the plans on file in their office because sometimes they need to get them from storage. The main number is 631 283-6000 and ask for the Building Department Representative. A Building Permit will be needed so pick -up a form or download one ahead of time from their website and there is a fee to apply. Also, check if your septic system will allow an additional bath. If you need an more assistance feel free to contact me. Good Luck!

Maryanne Robinson
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 25, 2008
Paul is correct OR locate builder of home determine if old plans are on file.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 25, 2008
In this area, they would have the "as built" plan at the township building. That is the plan AFTER the house was built, taking into account any field changes that were made to the approved plans.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 25, 2008
Check with City Hall. Tax or Building Department
Web Reference: http://Paulmvpteam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 25, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer