Foreclosure in 48457>Question Details

Karen, Other/Just Looking in Montrose, MI

Whose responsible for foreclosed/abandoned property?

Asked by Karen, Montrose, MI Sat Apr 4, 2009

House next door foreclosed on. Sheriff's deed filed 6/3/08. One year redemption period. Owners moved out March 09. Contacted realtor and they said they are not responsible for the upkeep/trash etc. are just the brokers. Is mortgage company that bought at sheriffs sale responsible for the upkeep? House was bought under one mortgage co., which was bought out by 2nd mortgage co., which is listed as the now owner. That mortgage company has now been bought out by another bank/mortg. company. Long Beach Mortg. Co. to Washington Mutual Bank, to Chase. WaMu is listed as owner, yet if you go to site for them it shows as now owned by Chase. So question is who will be responsible for mowing, cleaning up the outside trash etc.?

Help the community by answering this question:


I would contact the city and have the city send a violation. The peoperty is most likley chase Mortgage. But given how many instituations have been involved I can see how it would be lost. If chase gets notified they should address this issue with the field inspection company that they use. But to be honnest it will not work as well if you contact the bank. If the city contacts chase they should be able to get in contact with the inspection department and address the issue.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 4, 2009
Hi Karen, to add to what Gloria stated. The listing broker may not be the broker in charge of the property when it goes back to a bank. They are working for the owner who lost the home. If the redemption period is up , you may have seen someone on a regular basis checking up on the property. This would be an agent assigned to watch the property. Do not hesitate to ask anyone looking at the property if they are a Real Estate Agent or from the Property Preservation company. They will be able to provide a business card if they are. You may also notice a sticker on one of the windows with the Property Preservation Companies contact information. They are always willing to be informed of the condition of these types of properties. If none of this is possible, then by all means, contact your local officials. They have a way of maintaining the exterior of these properties and billing back to the owner of record. We are all in this together because it affects every neighborhood across all demographics. By working together we can help maintain our neighborhoods and our property values. Good Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 4, 2009
Wa Mu is now owned by Chase. The listing broker represents the owner and is responsible for communicating to them any complaints regarding city or subdivision code or covenant violations. Make a complaint to the appropriate local authority and provide them with the contact information for the listing broker and his company. Call the real estate company that is listing the property and ask to speak to the managing broker to complain about the condition of the house. Real Estate Companies do not like to receive complaints from neighbors...bad public relations. Banks don't like to spend money on their foreclosures but they have to abide by local laws like any other citizen.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 4, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer