Tech Tips in California>Question Details

Megh, Other/Just Looking in Union City, CA

Knowing the name is on the tittle, but don't know exactly what type: tenant in common or joint tenancy. The

Asked by Megh, Union City, CA Sun Jan 20, 2008

other party keeps all the documents. How do I find out? Thanks for your help.

Help the community by answering this question:


Deborah and Alex,

I just wanted to let you know that Megh gave both of you a 'Thank You' in the post below.


For future reference please note that you can answer your own question and add your thank you to this thread instead of posting another question to do so.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008
Hi Megh,
1. Like Deborah says, you can go down to the Alemeda County Recorders office (I linked to the website). 2. When I have needed this info I gave the address to my escrow officer and she was able to order a copy of the deed from her title plant. She had it to me in 24-48 hours. (In this case, it was free because I have a very good relationship with my escrow officer and send her a lot of business.) So if you cannot make it to the county recorders office, ask your agent. If you don't have an agent (and need a deed in CA) ask me!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2008
The deed is filed with the county. You may have to go in person, but you can look at the deed there. In some locations, that info is accessible online, but usually you have to visit in person for that level of detail. When you read the deed, it will tell you the tenancy.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 20, 2008
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer