Make sure you get pre-approved for a loan before you make a decision.
Unfortunately, it doesn't go both ways. I had a similar situation when my wife and I had renters. They wanted to buy a condo where the rental was so we made a deal with them. If they could find a renter to take their place then we didn't have a problem. Otherwise, they would have to pay rent until we found another renter to take their place. Luckily they found someone quickly and we didn't have any problems. I would suggest reading the lease again to see what the penalties are for breaking your lease.
Being in the military for many years and through many moves we have ALWAYS rented first until we got to know the area. This is the very first time I have ever even considered breaking a lease. As i read all of your good advice I have decided to go ahead and make the offer on the house tomorrow. Full price offer if they pay my lease off which comes to about 9900 bucks.
My mortgage guy says he can have us closed by the end of the year which would help with homestead and veterans tax exemptions in Florida. If our offer gets accepted WITHOUT the lease payoff amount, then I will go ahead and put up a flyer at hubby's job to see if there are any takers. I'll even discount my 1650 a month rent to like 14 or 1500.
Thanks again for helping me get my wheels-a-turnin...Merry Christmas !!!