Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

Jose, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

How to get NON Permited house addition mother in law legally permited in Phoenix. I am thinking of buying a

Asked by Jose, Phoenix, AZ Tue Jan 27, 2009

house but a friend tells me the city can bull dose the structure if they want is this true. Should I go to the city to see what to do. Need help, I just don't want future problems with the city in the future thanks

Help the community by answering this question:


Jose, you really should contact the City of Phoenix to inquire and make the appropriate inquiries. Every city is different, and each property is different. It's possible that the addition could be inspected and then issued a permit. But the only to know FOR SURE is to deal with the city directly.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 27, 2009

The city will not automatically order you to take the property down, you might be able to get a permit for it. Although you will have to take it to code an potentiall pay some fines. But remember that you will not know until you check with the appropriate authorities - I have known some cases where the city have indeed ordered the removal of the addition, and have imposed steep penalties in addition to that.

There are many other things you need to be aware of, and that is only one of them, when making such a big purchase. Make sure your agent is experienced and get you coverd during the entire process. A small overlook of an issue can have very serious consequences.

Good luck!

ABR - Accredited Buyer Representative
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 27, 2009
Also, Jose, if you are not represented by a Buyer's Agent in the purchase of the house, you could be inviting all sorts of other problems. Best thing to do is secure the service of a local, experienced Realtor to serve as your Buyer's Agent . S/he can also help and consult with you regarding the addition, permits, contract issues and everything else related to the purchase of the home.

Best regards,

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 27, 2009
Hello Jose,

Randy and Carlos is correct, take their advice.
Thanks for the question and good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 28, 2009
YES a room addition of thisnature requires city approval. If you dont city could bull doze, steep fines for violaitons of city ordinance list is endless !. It also change tax value of your home increase of sq. ft if included under HVAC. You could also be in violation of deed restrictions for your area.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 27, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer