1. Never is 1 person as smart as 2 or more.
2. Professional Buyer Agents can help you save $$ through their knowledge.
3. Professional Buyer Agents can save you headaches later after your purchase by protecting you during the purchase process.
4. Professional Buyer Agents can preview properties and report back their finding while you are at work.
5. Professional Buyer Agents know service providers.
6. Professional Buyer Agents care about your goals and needs before their ownâ€¦Always!
You ask a very good question.
I have one. Because the seller pays the commission fee, the Realtor that represents the buyer is basically "free". Were you aware of that?
What is the benefit of having the seller represented by a Realtor, and not you? Who will negotiate on your behalf? It is my experience that a buyer needs an excellent negotiater if they really want the "best deal".
Anyone can look for homes on the web, go to open houses, even make an offer. It is quite another thing to actually CLOSE escrow. You might want to consider interviewing some Realtors and see if you find any value.
Best of luck to you.
Going it on your own can be risky. For example, I just had a friend go into a contract with a FSBO. She paid for the home inspection to learn it had many problems. She backed out, but it cost her $500 for the home inspection. While we are not trained to see the same defects that a home inspector can, an experienced agent can readily identify many types of materials defects and bring them to your attention.