Foreclosure in Aurora>Question Details

alijen, Other/Just Looking in 80018

My home just sold at auction. I went to retrieve my possessions and found a lock box on the door.

Asked by alijen, 80018 Sat Mar 14, 2009

How do I find out who placed the lockbox on the door? I was under the impression that I would have some time to remove my belongings. I am sick thinking that my family lost a lifetime worth of possessions (and memories) in addition to our home.

Help the community by answering this question:


I'm sorry to hear about your foreclosure. I have attached a link to Colorado foreclosure law here. Based on what I see here, you need to find out who the "public trustee" is for your county.
Also, check out…
which might help if you have a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac loan.
Whatever real estate agent or property preservation company was sent out by the lender should have left some type of notice at the house. Sometimes we are required to send certified mail if the notice we leave does not get us a response (I have to do this a lot with my bank-foreclosure clients). Sometimes a "cash for keys" offer will be extended to you, whereby you have a certain amount of time to remove your possessions and leave the house in "broom clean" condition with no damages to the home to get the check for your voluntary surrender of the premises.
A bank cannot usually lock you out of the house without following the eviction procedures your local justice of the peace or court system requires unless whoever was sent out deemed the property to be of less than usually $300-500 worth of value (amount determined by the lender/owner).
Good luck to you. I know this is a hard time, but you do have the right to redeem your CO property after the foreclosure sale... we don't have that here in Texas.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 14, 2009
is there any paper on the window??? Are the locks changed???
How long where you gone when the box was put on???
This is weird? I would suggest get in touch with the Public Trustee.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 14, 2009
When we sign the deeds to our houses at closing there is a clause that allows the lender to protect their asset in the case that the house is empty and facing foreclosure. Sometimes you'll see this happen before the sale and especially after. The lender has authorized the listing agent to change the locks. There should be a phone number for the protection company posted somewhere that you can call for some answers. Sorry to hear about this and good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 14, 2009
You need to contact lender if home sold you were at risk of waiting to move till after transfer of title you could be arrested be on property.

There is a usually a company which clears property of all items remaining you may have all ready lost anything left behind.

Sorry hear about this.

~ National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Lecturer regarding Credit Repair, Mortgage Loan Officer
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 14, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer