I do not understand why it took corporate three weeks to get back to my realtor as to when they mailed the check to me...this information final came to me the day after I posted to you all...and the same date that I found out my address was incorrectly noted.
Regardless, all of your wonderful advice put me on the right track and I wish I had posted earlier. I am happy to report that I received my escrow money a few weeks after I posted!
Call the manager of the office. By Maryland law, any advertising, voice mail etc. that an agent uses must have a way to contact the manager or Broker.
If that doesn't work, visit the department of labor, licensing and regulation's website, and see who the broker of record is for the company. Call them- things should speed up then.
Maryland has strict laws about escrow money, and I don't think they can hold yours for that long. In brief, the rule is:
Both parties sign the release, and money is returned.
If one or both of the parties won't sign, the Broker gives the money to the court.
The process is spelled out in the contract. Good luck!
Your original contract spells out how the escrow funds are to be distributed in the event of a closing, a cancellation or whatever - Brokers have to walk a very fine line in the refund of earnest monies, and I believe they have three options, 1-Disburse as to written agreement of all parties (this includes the Real Estate Companies involved), 2-Put the funds into a court for a judge to make the final decision or 3 - send certified letters to all parties on how the funds will be disbursed and give notice that it will be done in so many days, unless a letter from one of the involvees says they disagree.
I would send certified letters, return receipt requested, to all parties, particularily the company holding the funds - and Good Luck!
It sounds to me like the escrow/trust account is managed by corporate at another location. Before absorbing legal fees, I would suggest you make an effort to directly contact the source that is holding your funds. To me, it sounds like there is not a disupute about it's release, only a slow processing time.
If you find out there is some reason to withhold the release, please come back and repost the details. Based upon my assumption from the limited detail, I think it's a slow reacting corporate office.
I suggest that you put a firm request in writing, direct it to the corporate office (call and find out who manages the trust account) and cc the local manager and agent.
Do come back and let us know what happens.
It is always better to solve the dispute outside of court. However in your case you should demand a copy of the signed release, if indeed one exists, and if not then should should confront the broker holding the earnest money for an explanation.
Here in CA, where deposits are handled by escrow companies, the checks are written as soon as the release is signed by everybody. Best of luck.