General Area in Sunnyvale>Question Details

Aarthi, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

How easy is it to add a window to a single family home in Sunnyvale. I liked the floor plan of one home but th

Asked by Aarthi, Sunnyvale, CA Tue Sep 18, 2007

Help the community by answering this question:


In addition to the other great answers, in adding a window it is important to check with the City/County and if you are in a PUD and/or have CC&R's to check if there are restrictions / guidelines, etc. Remember when you add a window it doesn't only allow in light, it allows people to look in and you to look out. Placement is very important not just for light and air.

and Jennifer, I too checked out your website, drop me an email I have some questions for you.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2008
Hi Jennifer I just just visited your website and I will save your information in case I have a client needing your services. I'm located off of De Anza Blvd. in Cupertino.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2008
Hi Aarthi,
This is Jennifer and I'm an architect in San Jose, CA. The answers you've already received are correct. You should consult an engineer (or architect) for the construction detail and to help you get the permit for construction. It should be an easy change, overall. However, be prepared that a larger portion of the wall (larger than the size of the window) will need to be opened to get to the wood framing. Here's an engineer in Santa Clara that can help you, All Structural, 388 Martin Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050, (408) 496-0930. You can also contact me,, and I can recommend some contractors in your area if you need one.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2007
Jennifer Kre…, Home Seller in 95124

Ute gave you good advice. You will need to consult with an engineer or contractor to assess the situation. Then off to the city for the permit process.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
Hi Aarthi. The answer to your question will depend on how the house is built. The main thing is that the structural integrity cannot be compromised. Most likely, you'll need an engineer to do the necessary calculations to make sure that the wall will still be structurally sound after the window has been added. You'll need to get permits for the projects. How big of a window do you want to add? Essentially, it's impossible to answer your question as we are not engineers or contractors. Actually, I should say, I am not an engineer or contractor.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2007
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in New Castle, DE
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer