The bad news is that such a contingency tends to discourage agents from bringing potential buyers to your home and discourages the buyers who see the home from making an offer. The agent that refused to list your house this way had a right to reject the idea. It does not make economic sense for her to take a listing with such a huge marketing drawback.
In todays market there are many highly motivated sellers that you would be competing with. Their houses will sell before yours does. The contingency that you want to have screams "I am not a highly motivated seller!" The only way to counter such a negative message to buyers in your marketing would be to offer the property you are selling at a significant discount to market value, and / or offer buyers agent a higher than market commission split.
The listing agent and broker take on the responsibility of a time and expense investment to sell your home. Some agents and brokers will determine the likelihood of selling is compromised and their investment will not bring a return. Agents and brokers are carrying the costs of marketing homes for extended periods of time in a sellers market and need to represent the properties which will most likely result in a sale.
It is also possible that you could get an offer which is contingent upon your buyer selling his/her current home. I certainly understand your desire to coordinate moves, and it is a common goal. If you make that an absolute requirement, it will limit your buyer pool and effectively reduce your potential sales price. As much as I understand your desire for smooth continuity, I would recommend that you place that as a â€œsecondary wantâ€ vs. a â€œprimary requirement.â€
If you are still in need of further advice, feel free to get in touch with me! I will try to "lay it out" for you.
You can put your house on the market and make a contingent offer that states you cannot purchase unless your house is sold. It will be up to the seller of the house you want to purchase if they will accept your offer or not. They may want to keep it on the market so they do not lose any potential buyers in case your house does not sell. All of this is written into the California contract (CAR Forms) Many sellers will accept a contingent offer with a 72 hour clause where you have 72 hours to remove the contingency if they get a better offer.
You may just want to sell your house and rent until your perfect mountain house becomes available.
Best wishes with your move.
If you found your replacement home prior to selling yours then you are asking the seller to wait for you to sell yours while you mention your inventory is on the market for 6 months. It is a balancing act. You are really not a buyer till your a seller.
Is there a chance you can make a double more if necessary? To answer you question, maybe they will but will your home be show with that stipulation and will you find a buyer that is willing to wait in an uncertain market place?