General Area in 08753>Question Details

C Chmielewski, Other/Just Looking in Toms River, NJ

I would like to buy a piece of my neighbors property as it cuts very sharply into my back yard. I would like

Asked by C Chmielewski, Toms River, NJ Wed Aug 15, 2007

fair price for a piece of land 25'X75' in Toms River, NJ Ocean county

Help the community by answering this question:


There is much more involved than just marking off a 25X75 section of land. How would the loss of the land effect the value of your neighbors property? How much would it devalue his parcell to cut it off and give it to you? A fair price to whom?
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2007
What is the block/lot, I will find out for you.
Celia Szieber
Crossroads Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 28, 2010
Greg brings up some good points. Here are a few more things you will have to find out-if the 25 x 75 piece is deeded separately from your neighbor's main property then the process will be much easier. If it is all included in one deed,, then your neighbor may have to seek a minor subdivision approval from the town. If the reduction in size will make your neighbor's lot non-conforming he will not be able to subdivide Do your homework and talk with your local zoning officer so that you know what will be required of you and your neighbor. You will not need a Realtor, but please be sure to use an experienced real estate attorney. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 9, 2009
This is one of the few times that I would say to contact the neighbor and skip the Realtor. If you can come to terms, have an attorney draw up the contract.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 8, 2008
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
You will have to negotiate with the owner of that piece of property and once a price is agreed upon, you must have it surveyed and do a lot line adjustment per your counties requirements. This must be done so that it is registered with the county and it is permantly attached to documents with both parcels.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 23, 2008
if agreeable by all parties as to size and price you would need to connect with a licensed civil engineer to draw up the description to be conveyed. After this either the Title Department of the Title Company or perhaps an attorney my be able to finish the transaction.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 16, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
My advice would be to have a discussion with your neighbor, and if he is agreeable, consult a real estate attorney in your state to assist you with the process.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 16, 2007
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer