Property Q&A in Roswell>Question Details

Regina McGla…, Both Buyer and Seller in Roswell, NM


Asked by Regina McGlashen, Roswell, NM Fri Feb 13, 2009

This question is about this property:

Help the community by answering this question:


HI Gina,

It has been many months since you posted your question, and yet there are no answers. Please allow me to chime in here:

In searching for an apartment, you might find some described as “condos” or “condominiums” and others as “coops” or “cooperatives.” While it is true that many (but not all) Chicago coop apartments are located in classically designed pre-War buildings, the term “coop” does not describe the style of the building but rather the ownership terms of the apartments.

With a condominium (or condo), you are buying a physical apartment (as defined by a legal description) as well as a share in the common elements of the building. A condo association, led by a board of directors, manages the building’s exterior and common elements, including landscaping, while the unit owners maintain the interiors of their individual apartments.

When you purchase in a cooperative (or coop), you are technically not buying real estate. Instead, you are purchasing shares of stock in a legal entity (usually a corporation) that owns real estate. Your shares of stock entitle you to occupy a specific apartment, as defined in the Proprietary Lease you receive with your stock certificate. So in the end, you have the same thing (a place to live), but how you achieve this is a bit different.

There are many more differences between coops and condos. To learn more about this subject, I encourage you clink on the link below and read an article I recently published in my blog.

All the best,

2 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 14, 2009
Dear Gina,
In California, coop means a buyer when he or she buys a unit in a coop, which means owns by sort of a corporation.
The buyer do not own the unit......................I think this is what it is.
Buyers will own shares of the corp...............................buyers gets a sort of certificate as part of the corp and not a title to the individual unit property.
Are you located in Los Angeles CA or Roswell NM.
2306 & 2308 S Union Ave is in Roswell New Mexico.
Are you working with an agent?
If not, when you need more help here in Los Angeles,CA ..please do not hesitate to give me a call or send an email.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Co-Op is where you have a buyer, or a seller who is wanting to locate to another town or state and you, if you are the Qualifying Broker, or thru your Qualifying Broker, direct your clients to work with someone in an office located in the town or state they are wanting to buy or sell property in. When this is done a referal fee is paid back to the Refering Broker's Firm. Example: I associate Broker sold Mr Smith's townhome in my town he is wanting to move to Houston, Tx and I happen to have met several C-21 agents at convention, I first inform my Broker of what I am doing, have my Broker contact that Real Estate Office with referal compensation agreement, contact agent see if they are willing and able to help, give his info to person Mr. Smith will be dealing with,give Mr. Smith contact info for firm & agent he will be working with, and hopefully I get a nice little referal compensation check , Mr Smith has new home, or condo, etc. Agent gets commission check off sale, Broker's get their part, everyone satisfied.
Then there is buying a coop,or buying into a coop, which is a little different than buying a condo, or townhomes, not found much here in rural New Mexico but is in larger cities .
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 10, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer