How To... in Chicago>Question Details

Anna, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

how can I remove my name from public records so that my name , address etc is no longer easy to acces on line?

Asked by Anna, Chicago, IL Thu Dec 4, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Anna,

Nice detailed answers below. I just want to add one more item to consider when setting up a trust to hold property for you. Banks typically do not allow you to take out a mortgage as a trustee when the benefactor of the property held is the trustor. You may be able to do this as an investor, but that would exclude you from many mortgage financing incentives only available to individual homebuyers. Remember, this is not meant as legal advice as only your lawyer or legal professional can properly advise you in these matters.


Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser/RE Sales Associate
Vollenberg Appraisers/ERA Statewide Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
To begin with, you can remove your name and telephone number from the telephone directories by getting an unlisted telephone number from your phone company.

Even if your number WAS listed, and then you switch it to an unlisted number, eventually, your name and number will drop out of the online directories.

You can also request that Google, Yahoo, MSN and the other big search engines delete your name, your address and your phone number from their public directories.

But removing your name, your property information, and other recorded documents from the Cook County Treasurer's website, the Cook County Assessor's website and the Cook County Recorder of Deeds website is more complicated.

If you knew up front that you wanted to protect your privacy and keep your personal information and financial details private, you would have set up a TRUST to take title to your real estate.

With your property held in TRUST on your behalf, no one would be able to tell that you owned a particular piece of real estate. They would not know how much you paid for it. They would not be able to see all the publicly recorded documents relating to your property.

All those documents would still be publicly available. But they would refer to the local bank where you established your Trust. None of the documents would refer to you. You'd be completely anonymous.

Here's the problem: You might have discovered that all this information about you is available already. If this is the case, then you can't undo what's already been done.

You COULD transfer your property into a TRUST now. But all the other documents that have your name on them in the public databases would still be there. Your name would still be searchable and still tell the tale of your assets and other business.

About the only way to make it all go away would be to sell your current property, set up a trust to use in the future, and go buy a new home under the Trust's protection. And even then, your personal information about your NEW home would be hidden, but the trail of publicly recorded information would still exist for your old homes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
Thank you for this response! These are the answer to the exact questions I have. Although I live in another state, I'm sure this still applies.
Flag Wed Sep 18, 2013
The simplest ways to do this is to establish a Land Trust to hold title to the property. The Trust acts as the owner of record, but you are the "beneficiary" of the trust. Anyone looking at the public records would see the owner reported as XYZ Trust Company, Trust No. 1234.

There are some limitations and negatives to Trusts of this sort, so you should review this with your lawyer before diving in.

hope that helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
I have not received an answer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 22, 2014
I would like to have my name and address remove from public records.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 22, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer