Rental Basics in 12533>Question Details

Kathleen, Other/Just Looking in Hopewell Junction, NY

My rental house well has run dry, and I have no water at all...How long does the landlord have to fix it...?

Asked by Kathleen, Hopewell Junction, NY Sat Jan 3, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


Kathleen, You might also want to check this site which about tenants rights in NY state and city..

Also this site will allow you to ask legal questions and get a response from an attorney..(It's Free)

Hpoe this may help, Dunes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 3, 2009
I pay my rent and then the water has been turned of the land lord refuse to pay the bill I've been without water what can I do
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 4, 2015
I've been without water since june 9 and still no water the landlord is not doing anything about the problem
Flag Tue Aug 4, 2015
As a Professional Property Manager, we are always balancing issues between Owners and Tenants.

First: We need to know how long you have been without water.

Then we would need to know if the landlord has taken the necessary steps to assist you.

Margo is right, there are inherited Tenants Rights, but Mother Nature does have a rule of her own. If you reported it to the landlord or property manager and they have jumped on the situation and are working to resolve it, they are doing what they are required to by law. With that said, there is still a need to have a habitable house.

A few things the landlord might not know is that we can get potable water to a site within 48 hours if it looks like the situation will be draw out. (need to drill well deeper, unknown reason why well went dry.) But if it simply a burnt out well pump, then we typically try to get it replaced within 48-72 hours. I typically provide bottled water during this period free of charge, but each landlord handles things differently. Fort instance, he might just reimburse you for water.

So that biggest question here really is, HOW LONG have you been without water?

I am not in favor of jumping on the lawyer,legal rights issue unless a landlord is blatantly ignoring a tenants rights. If he is doing everything he can and providing you with potable water. Its a Mother Nature issue. You do have the right to temporarily vacate the house and get a hotel room and you would not be required to pay rent for this period, but most leases will not allow you to get reimbursed for this expense.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 4, 2009
First of all, have you contacted your landlord and, if so, what was his response? If you got no where with hime, then contact the Board of Health. When renting you are entitled to have your unit in total working order. Not having water or heat is a flagrant abuse of this. Have you signed a lease or is this a month to month with only a verbal agreement/ There are a lot of questions to be asked. Your first response, after contacting the landlord is to contact your attorney. If you don't have an attorney, contact the Dutchess County Bar Assoc. and explain what the problem is and they will put you in contact with an attorney. Good luck and if there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks................................Margo
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 3, 2009
Refer to your executed lease agreement which governs property owner obligations for repairs and etc.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 3, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer