Home Buying in Burlington>Question Details

Helper, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Sec 8 housing-mother/daughter suite and zoning laws

Asked by Helper, New Jersey Wed Dec 3, 2008

In NJ, there are not many multi-family dwellings. I would like to know if there are consultants who specialize in 2 family houses where there is a zoned, legal apt for a homeowner to rent out to another family member who has a Sec 8 voucher. I have a relative who has a mental disability & can't live on her own successfully. While shopping for a home, I would like to focus in on homes that have a rentable 2 Bdrm unit. Is there anyone who is familiar with the rules for applying to offer the apt as a Sec 8 & whether it is allowed to specify who the apt can be rented to-in other words, if I buy a house w/a separate apt, will I be able to make sure that my relative can rent it with the voucher or will it go into an open pool or priority for others who are looking for a similar Sec 8 apt. This is a complicated issue that I find nowhere to get my answers & have been unable to get any real answers from anyone. I am interested more in Burlington County, Central or Upper South Jersey/

Help the community by answering this question:


I believe you need to resubmit your question. When you mentioned Burlington Trulia pointed your question to NC where we have a small city named Burlington. The Section 8 question though is federal so the guidelines should cross state lines unlike other real estate issues which are controlled by the individual states and can vary. The link below is to the HUD webite and the SEMAP program page. This will allow you to look throught the Section 8 guidelines.

Hope this helps,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
You definately want to check with Section 8 as to what qualifies and what doesnt. In most cases you can not get paid if they live with you, it needs to be a seperate apartment. With seperate kitchen, bath and bedroom. Now usually it can have a connecting door between the two apartments to allow you access to help. Be sure before doing anything by asking your section 8 case worker. good luck
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 4, 2008
Here in Texas I dont believe a relative can own a home an then lease back to a relative. You might want contact the housing authority ask your question. It can take approx. 3 to 4 years to obtain a voucher. The property you own must pass the housing authority inspection
Good luck
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 3, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer