Even an older house may not be a danger, since it's probably been painted over (perhaps several times) since 1978, with unleaded paint. The lead is not dangerous if it's covered.
Lead paint isn't the biggest safety concern in the home for small children. I believe water (pools and bathtubs), household chemicals, and medications are much higher on the list.
Don't forget to tie up the drapery cords! I found my 1-year-old dangling from them once, and just about had a heart attack (luckily I was right there and she didn't even have time to cry). http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/grand/12steps/12steps.html
(I childproofed my home, but they keep getting in anyway :-)
203-438-0599 ext. 120
1 - The lead paint has not been painted over and
2 - Is cracking and flaking and
3 - Your children have a "taste" for eating paint.
Keep the paint for cracking and peeling and keep your children fed. This should help you with any concerns. If you are majorly worried about lead paint hazards, then my answer would have to be to search for a newer home.