Question Details

James Bond, Real Estate Pro in 08540

Does anyone have experience in selling international properties to their clients in US?

Asked by James Bond, 08540 Tue Oct 28, 2008

I need to know the laws surrounding these types of deals. Specifically my questions are:
1. Do you need a US license to sell International properties in USA? If yes, which state is more lenient than others?
2. Do you need to get the International property registered with some govt agency before you can sell it?
3. Are capital gains realized outside of US taxed at the same rate (a) when captial gain taxes are paid in the country where property is located (b) when capital gains taxes are not applicable in the country where the property is located. How about taxes on rental incomes.
4. Are there any faster "no red-tape" ways to sell international properties? I have heard about offshore companies in Cayman Islands can be helpful, is it true?

I provide marketing support to International Builders and would like to establish my own real estate company and trying to collect all legal issues.

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes, you need a license in any state to sell real estate no matter who the buyer is, If you get a license in one state, you can then refer people to other agents in another state. I can help you with that.

The client can buy, but they need verification of their identity for the title company or proof their company is registered in the US.

The cap gains apply when they file tax returns in the US and it is the same rate as anyone else. I do suggest getting an American accountant to help with that.

Contact me with any additional questions.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 28, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer