Home Buying in Tracy>Question Details

lmc, Home Buyer in Tracy, CA

How do I find out if a home I'm considering purchasing has mello roos or other additional property taxes?

Asked by lmc, Tracy, CA Wed Oct 1, 2008

I want to purchase a home in Tracy and I know that property taxes are 1 1/4% of the purchase price but how do I find out if there are additional taxes like mello roos or school bonds?

Help the community by answering this question:



Here in the Bay Area there are several companies that provide information as a packet to the buyer. This report is normally part of the combined hazard report. This report normally outlines natural hazards, geological hazards, information on the impact of mold,lead, and radon in the home as well as informational on the taxes related to the property and the potential for a supplementary tax bill or mello roos assignment.

You can also call/contact the local tax accessor's office and they will be able to tell you.

Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 1, 2008
Ligia, The seller must disclose that information to you. Once you're in escrow, you should get a copy of the property tax bill which will show that information. Many bonds as well as mello roos are paid along with property taxes and are reflected on the property tax bill. Catherine
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 1, 2008
Do I have to pay mello roos in Roseville?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 10, 2016
Hi Ligia,

Go to this website: http://www.sjgov.org/treasurer/OnlinePay.htm

It looks like it is for paying your taxes but it actually will give you the specific property tax bill for any house in San Joaquin County including Tracy. You have to click on the "Don't know your parcel number? CLICK HERE to look it up by address". Then after you know the parcel number of the property address you want to look up, click on the 'I have read and agree with the above disclaimer". Type in the parcel number in the search criteria box & press submit. There you go, it should pop up & gives you so much information. How you can calculate what your future taxes are on this property, would be to take the "prop 13 tax amount" and take your future purchase price & it will be 1% for our area. For example, if you plan to pay $200k for a home, then you would plop $2,000 in that spot & add up all the rest of the figures because they don't change when you purchase the home for any price. Hopefully this helps you tremendously.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 23, 2008
This should be disclosed in the MLS listing. If not, it will certainly show up in the preliminary title report. Most of us who sell in Tracy can tell you right of the bat if it's in a mello roos district. It's a great time to buy!
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 11, 2008
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Hello Ligia,

You should get the address and contact the tax accessor's office let them know that you are interested in purchasing the property and they should be able to give you the information you are looking for. If you run into any problems please feel free to contact me and I will assist you free of charge. Best of luck. Hope to hear from you soon.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 11, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer