Welcome to the world of real estate. Believe it or not, you are starting at a terrific time. There are very few new agents coming into the profession and therefore the competition is not as great.
1. Wear your name badge everywhere. If not appropriate, wear some apparel with the name of the company.
2. Join a company that cares about you and your business. Training, coaching, mentoring, etc.
3. Read books. One of my favorites and not really real estate related but small business related. "Guerilla Marketing" by Levinson.
4. Prepare a wriiten business plan. It should include daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly activities and stick with it. Your goals do not really include how much you make as much as how many people you will touch. In other words - LEAD GENERATION
5. If you do not develop a passion for the business in 6 months then get out of the business.
6. Generate leads all the time.
It should have mentoring and training. The value of training can't be over stated, you need so much help in the beginning. If you can "tag along" with a successful experienced agent, who in NOT in competition with you ..it will help you greatly. You can get buyer leads by holding Open House....but be selective..only host an Open in an area you want to get clients in, and you wish to work in.
Second,be very careful about the many "helpers" out there who wish to sell you things. Keep it simple. You will soon know what you need to develop your business.
Make sure all your friends and family are aware of your new career. Ask them to help you by letting others know you are available for Real Estate transactions. Talk to everyone you know, and everyone you do business with too.
Best of Luck to you