Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Susan, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

I had purchased a house 2 years ago that required flood insurance, my insurance has expired and my insurance

Asked by Susan, Houston, TX Sun Jul 20, 2008

agent said that he cannot renew the flood insurance because the house was not built according to FEMA specifications. Why was I able to obtain flood insurance before if that's the case. The lender is requiring me to have flood insurance, but what can I do if I can't find any one to provide me with flood insurance?

Help the community by answering this question:


Up until a couple of years ago, someone could be in a 100 year flood zone and obtain insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program very easily with no documentation. You could obtain an Elevation certificate that gave the actual elevation of your home in comparison with the base flood elevation of the flood zone your home is in. If you home showed to actually sit above the flood elevation, you could qualify for a discounted rate.

Now, an elevation certificate is required by most, if not all companies. Flood insurance is typically backed by the NFIP and should have the same requirements regard less of the company you use. The elevation certificate will generally cost $200 - $300 to have performed by a licensed surveyor.

The only other reason I can think of that a carrier would reject your purchasing flood insurance coverage would be the number of flood losses that have been paid out on your home. Generally, if you have 2 flood losses at that home, you're then refered to be insured directly through FEMA and the NFIP.

Your agent should be able to help you with these answers and obtaining flood coverage. If they are not, find another agent, because you should be able to obtain coverage. It might just cost a little more.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 21, 2008
My sister-in-law lived in a house in the floodplain many years ago. The only way she could get insurance was through the National Flood Insurance Program. Check out the website below.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 21, 2008
I think you have to go back to your insurance agent or another agent and ask about National Flood Insurance Program. This is a government backed program that provides insurance that most insurances companies won't provide if you are in the 100 year flood plain.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 20, 2008
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer