Market Conditions in Richton>Question Details

Jane, Home Buyer in Mississippi

My deceased grandparents owned a piece of land in Richton, Mississippi. They had four daughters and eleven

Asked by Jane, Mississippi Wed Jul 2, 2008

grandchildren. There is one surviving daughter and nine surviving grandchildren. Who is the legal owner of this property? I am one of the grandchildren and have paid the taxes for the past three years. No one else has shown any interest in the property and the land has become overgrown with tall brush. I am in the process of hiring someone to clear the lot. What rights do I have to the property , if any?

Help the community by answering this question:


There's alot more info needed to answer your question. The way the deed was structured with your g'parents is important. That determines who owns it after the first one passed away. Secondly, did the 'last person' holding the deed have a will? It can go on and on. I have been dealing with real estate for over 22 years. I can put you in touch with someone that can help you resolve these issues.
The first big question to ask yourself is, is the property worth enough (to you - not on the market) to resolve all of this? If it has sentimental value to you or is a valuable parcel, then it would be worth it. Please give me a call at your convenience and we can discuss the situation. I can be reached at 601.297.4400.
Jeff Palmer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 15, 2010
your in probate hell. It really doenst matter if you paid the taxes for your relative, nice donation. I own land in Gulfport Mississippi. You will need a probabte lawyer, the land 1st goes to surviving children, the to surviving grandchildren and so on. all entities will get a cut, depending on whether or not there was a will. You will have alot of fun on this one!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 10, 2008
Jane, the best advice we can give you, since this is a legal question, is please contact a real estate attorney. You'll need to provide a knowledgable attorney with information such as was there a valid will or did your grandparents die intestate (without a will), proof of payment for the property taxes, possible affidavits of surviving heirs, etc. There is a process involved to resolve the ownership issue, so don't expect immediate results. I wish you the best of luck. If you are not from the area, consult a Realtor from the Richton area for the recommendation of a competent attorney who specializes in real estate law.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 10, 2008
Contact an attorney to resolve all those issues.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 2, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer